Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Is Organization the Key?

I know where my keys are.  My to-do lists at home and work are up to date.  I keep a generalized schedule for cleaning my home, washing clothes, and getting groceries.   I know what I will be wearing and what I'll be eating all week by Sunday night (and yes, my clothes are sorted by color).  My budget is tracked weekly and bank accounts checked daily.  My work schedule is as organized as possible for the short and long term allowing for those never-ending last minute additions and changes.

Is this a sign of OCD or have I realized that staying organized fulfills a great need for peace?   When I feel peace I am content and happy.

When I get that little feeling of something not quite right, I immediately try to identify it, then find a resolution quickly so I can move on to bigger and better things.  On my first grade report card, my teacher commented that I "do my work quickly and well, but then tends to get up and socialize".  I like to get the work done, have pride in it, but then want to finish so I can play.   Nice to know I have stayed consistent!

Is organization the key to true happiness?  For me it is.  I truly enjoy planning ahead and trying to cover all angles.  I love the logical process and predictable outcome.  I am proud when something comes out well because of all the preparation and thought put behind it.  Will there be bumps in the road?  Absolutely, but that's all put in the planning process.  By allocating time to deal with additions or anomalies they become a welcome challenge instead of the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think most people naturally think better when there is no clutter - not only in their physical space but in their mental space as well.  Keeping counters, desks, and rooms clutter-free allows room for creativity.  Keeping minds clutter-free allow the imagination to come to life.  Material items get in the way so I donate and throw out unneeded items often.  Keeping something "just in case" is not part of my vocabulary.

People often ask my how I am always so calm.  I am a true believer that there's really no need to sweat the small stuff.  Unless it's a true catastrophe, why waste time worrying when a creative solution and well-thought out plan will resolve almost anything.  There are people who cannot make a decision leaving them in limbo, cluttering their minds with unfinished business.  Others simply worry constantly, leaving them paralyzed with fear about possible outcomes.

Before you get disgusted with me, please know that I worked hard to get to this place.  Yes, I enjoy the planning process but I enjoy everything I do.  Really!  I try to find joy in everything, even the most mundane tasks.  It's a mindset that can be learned.

Have I had turmoil in my life?  Yes, and plenty of it.  I've had close family members with cancer (one terminal), both children diagnosed with autoimmune diseases and other physical ailments, family members with anxiety disorder, a truly horrendous divorce with an abusive ex, my own physical issues resulting in several surgeries, you name it.  I am a single mother and responsible for my child at home both financially and emotionally.  I work harder (and I think smarter) than ever.  My son is working toward becoming an EMT before college so he can contribute to his tuition.  We have downsized to the point where we are comfortable and able to save for the future, but still proud of our home.

So, do I sit on my butt and have a Netflix binge?  Do I spend a whole day in bed reading or playing with my dog on the beach?  You bet I do and it's totally guilt free - because it's all in the schedule.




No comments:

Post a Comment